oneiric elias

musings of a girl

Thursday, January 19, 2006

ways to feel better about yourself

Do me a favor and read the below excerpt from an article that was published today.

Study: Most College Students Lack Skills
By BEN FELLER, AP Education Writer
WASHINGTON - Nearing a diploma, most college students cannot handle many complex but common tasks, from understanding credit card offers to comparing the cost per ounce of food.... That means they could not interpret a table about exercise and blood pressure, understand the arguments of newspaper editorials, compare credit card offers with different interest rates and annual fees or summarize results of a survey about parental involvement in school....

I really don't have too much to say about this, and no longer feel so alone in the fact that I cried last year when someone tried to show me how to calculate percents.

Oh yes, I cried. In a very busy coffee shop. With a pencil in my hand, a textbook in front of me, and a very patient friend looking at me sadly, I cried loudly and decried that I would never attempt to do any sort of math again. Ever.

Glad to see that I'm not alone in my confusion.

And this, my friends, is how I make my self feel better about my shortcomings: by making sure I'm aware of everyone else's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home